Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 23, 2010: Home.

Three months of Moscow cold, of 6- and 7-day work weeks, of doing what I'm passionate about 24 hours a day, of forging and strengthening a network of incredible friendships, of challenging myself beyond any limits, of exploring a city that was closed for years, of finding myself, of missing Steve.  I'm home, and I'm found and I'm lost and ready or not, I'm taking another step forward in this thing we call life.

In Moscow, I learned:

That anything is possible.  My acting teachers often started notes or suggestions with "it is possible..." and that applies everywhere.  It is possible to make a different acting choice -- to be joyful even when my words are sad, to be large with my gestures even if that feels foreign at first, to create a dialog out of a monologue.  It is possible to learn to dance ballet at 30 years old having never taken a dance class before.  It is possible to learn to stand on my shoulder.  It is possible to communicate in Russian even though my vocabulary is under 100 words.  It is possible to be simultaneously lonely and fulfilled, frustrated and proud of myself, found and lost and found again.

These last 3 months in Russia have been some of the hardest of my life, and some of the most artistically and personally fulfilling.  I learned that there is a deep well of strength within me that grows even stronger when I ask for help.  I learned that I am never alone, and that when I surround myself with good people, I become more confident and I have more to give.  I learned that when I am a part of a healthy ensemble, I share in each person's successes as if they are my own.

I'm terrified and excited to figure out how to take what I've been learning and apply it to the beginning of my professional career as an artist, while I continue my process as a student of the arts.  Now it's time for me to create a career for myself as an actor and a teacher and a continuing student.  I have a lot to share, and as I figure out how to do that, it will be challenging and rewarding and worthwhile and POSSIBLE.  If I don't find immediate success or gratification, that doesn't mean I have to give up on my dream in any way.  It is possible to find different paths toward my goals.  It is possible to be a working actor.  It is possible to live my dreams.  It is possible.

I've enjoyed blogging so much, I don't think it's going to end here.  If you're interested, keep an eye on this site.  I think I'll create another blog connected to this one: Jenny's Adventures as a Working Actor :)

~~ April 16, 2011: here it is: http://jennysadventuresasaworkingactor.blogspot.com/ ~~

1 comment:

  1. I've really enjoyed following your adventures (even though I'm really late in posting a comment). It sounded like a truly rewarding experience and always brought a smile to my day.

    ReplyDelete